Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rossetti's "Lilith" after Nicoliades

Interpretation of Rossetti's "Lilith"
Art Journal:
using Nicoliades' technique
Charcoal & pencil. approx. 8"x 8"
by J. A. Stratemeyer

This is a technique I had used for sometime to acchieve fast basic form.
It is a technique I remember from the mid 1970's just before I stopped doing art.
I never took art, drawing or painting classes but I lived with an artist during that time
and I took some serious mechanical drawing courses in high school.
Regardless I set all art down and stuck only to writing for thirty years or so.
Then, during the Summer of 2006 our friend gave us some
Maryland Blackeyed Susan's (our State Flower).
My wife put them in a Perrier bottle until they started to wilt.
They stayed fresh in that bottle for an amazing amount of time.
My memory is pathetic and I check everything with my wife beause my memory went for the canoe ride under the brdge a long time ago.
But she verifies it, and that settles it in my mind.
Anyway, I was looking at them one day and something clicked
and I wondered if I could do it, I was compelled to try.
It worked, people liked it.
Several months went by then one night after supper at my teachers home.
Something said draw him he was sitting in a rocker watching television.
And that really workered, everyone likes it except my teacher.
Couple months later my wife started her 2nd series of chemo therapy and radiation treatments in two years.
Something started in my Soul, I started drawing everything!
I started using color, 1st with colored pencils then the pastels now the painting.
And the writing is still going strong.
And the therapy seems to be working, even if the side effects are brutal.
Oh I know I'm not going down in history as a great artist or author but maybe God will give me enough time to leave a legacy of work that my children's children will be strenghtened by in a time of need.
Thank You God!



2 comments:

Allison said...

Aslan that is a truely Beautiful art-work i have read about how you dont think you will go down in history but i think your wrong you have lot's of people out there who admire your work,(me being one of them)your going far mate and your children children's are going to remember you along time to come This is from the heart.
Your friend Allison.

Aslan said...

I am blessed to have such an encouraging friend. Your comment is beautiful and strenghtening. Sometimes one does wonder if they are touching lives with thier work. Comments like this are affirmation that occasionally we do. Thank you Ali.

About Me

My photo
Baltimore, Maryland, United States